Friday, September 9, 2016

To Teach the Inexperienced the Ropes: Podcasts

Winning photo by Dave Dinette Giant Forest, Ca


ClassroomWise will begin each post with a proverb or a wise quote.

Proverbs 1 is a good start.  (the entire chapter)

From BibleGateway:
These are the wise sayings of Solomon, David’s son, Israel’s king— Written down so we’ll know how to live well and right, to understand what life means and where it’s going; A manual for living, for learning what’s right and just and fair; To teach the inexperienced the ropes and give our young people a grasp on reality. There’s something here also for seasoned men and women, still, a thing or two for the experienced to learn— Fresh wisdom to probe and penetrate, the rhymes and reasons of wise men and women. ...


To Teach the Inexperienced the Ropes

Janet Adams M.A. 

During the start of 2016,  I thought I would begin a journey in finding a mentor or mentors who have already been there and done that.  Someone who is unbiased and willing to share the brutal facts because they are not my boss or not my close family.  They would have a whole different network of contacts and connections that I don't.  Most importantly, it would be the best free service I could ever get.

I began to discover podcasts. People from all walks of life, interests, and ideas who are willing to share.  The variety of content is astounding and the selection continues to grow. The talent base is amazing and the connected car is here. An estimated 57 million Americans, or 21% of the U.S. population, listen to podcasts regularly. (Chris Giliberti, Chief of Staff, Gimlet Media)

This American Life hosted by Ira Glass was my first introduction to listening to a well-produced podcast. I was on a long road trip from California to New Orleans, LA and my Air Force-pilot-son hooked up his iPhone and dialed into the program. The hours and miles flew by and from that trip experience, I became a podcast listener.

However, my search this year was different. I wanted to find people that could add value to my life. People that have already crashed, burned and figured out how to do it better. Many podcasts invite guests to share their stories sprinkled with questions and advice. I am usually driving or cooking and not able to take notes while listening. No problem because the podcast will include "show notes" that can be viewed later on in iTunes.

3 Easy Steps

1.  Just like magazines, you subscribe to Podcasts.  The individual shows can be downloaded and you can also "like" one that you want to listen too again.  Each podcast also has a "share" button so I sometimes text or email a colleague to take a listen or to myself to save to the file on my computer.

2.  If you already have iTunes on your computer, searching for podcasts and subscribing will be easy.  If not, download iTunes.  On my iPhone, I use the app, "Podcast".  All smartphones will have multiple options.   The platforms usually sync with each other.  Here is Apples quick instruction guide.

3.  Downloading the latest episodes and syncing your phone can take a few minutes.  I usually do not do this and will hook my phone up to my car's Bluetooth and I am good to go and on the road.  A friend shared with me if you want to listen to the guest speaker faster, there will be a small symbol that shows a"1X".  Click on that icon and it should rotate through different playback speeds.  Please, not while you are driving.

So far this year, my podcast favorite hosts and their guests have been my coaches, my connectors, my cheerleaders and my challengers. I know that we have not met face to face, but that is OK.  My subscribed shows are an amazing way to grow me in new perspectives on education, life, faith, and leadership. With a little exploration, you’ll soon have a library of subscriptions of your favorites that go wherever you go.  There’s something here also for seasoned men and women, still, a thing or two for the experienced to learn— Fresh wisdom to probe and penetrate, the rhymes and reasons of wise men and women. ...

Janet Adams M.A.

My Mentors


On Leadership:  






On Faith:  






Tips for Teachers  Apple in Education

Education Leadership Summit  Apple in Education

Faculty Speaker Series  Apple in Education

Teaching with iPad  Apple in Education

School Profiles  Apple in Education

TED Radio Hour












On Great Stuff: 




StartupCamp (Marketing)









No comments:

Post a Comment