Saturday, September 24, 2016


9 Essential Digital Skills for the 21st Century Teacher



"Become a Better Version of You with Proverbs That Can Easily be Put Into Practice"
Janet Adams M.A. 

Proverbs 3:1-3
"My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.  Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man."  

My 8-year old granddaughter glanced at me across her kitchen table,  "Hey, do you know that I have 9 character traits?  Want to know what they are?"  

"Sure."  I held up nine of my fingers and she carefully named them and explained to me each one with her life examples.   Little did I know, that this was September 22 and her school celebrated "Character Day".  What an awesome teacher she has to take the time to pinpoint character traits in each one of her 3rd-grade students. Taryn, was thrilled to share each one with me.    Thank you, Ms. Franz.  

That very same day my email inbox led me to an article,  "9 Essential Digital Skills for the 21st Century Teacher."  These were not character traits, but technology skills.   I tapped the article and leaned into that space with anticipation.  I held up my fingers again and as I read the skills,  I was short a few skills.   This article is so good I have to share.  The skills are easy to put into practice today.   

EdTech Team. "9 Essential Digital Skills for the 21st Century Teacher." ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning. N.p., 9 Sept. 2016. Web. 24 Sept. 2016.

"In a digitally focused world, education is getting more and more digitized pushing us, teachers and educators, to re-conceptualize what it really means to be a teacher in the 21st century. Whether you are a technological determinist or instrumentalist, technology has become an essential force shaping much of our teaching and pedagogical practices. It has also placed a number of demands and exigencies on us and to meet these exigencies we need to develop a set of key digital skills. In the chart below, we cited 9 digital skills that we believe are fundamentally important for any teacher.  The EdTech Team

Digital SkillsTools
1. Record and edit audio clips
Sound Cloud
Audioboom
Vocaroo
Clyp
2. Create annotated, interactive and engaging video content
Blubbr
YouTube Video Editor
Teachem
VideoNotes
TED Ed
Edpuzzle
Wevideo
Magisto
3. Create visually engaging content
Picktochart
Canva
Google Draw
Thinglink
Glogster
4. Use social networking websites to create PLNs, connect , discover new content, and grow professionally
Twitter
Facebook
Google Plus
LinkedIn
5. Use blogs and wikis to create participatory spaces for students
Blogger
Wordpress
Edublog
Kidblog
Wikispaces
Weebly
6. Use social bookmarking websites curate and share resources with your class
Diigo
Scoop.It
Pinterest
Edshelf
eduClipper
Symbaloo
7. Create engaging presentations
Google Slides
Haiku Deck
Prezi
Zoho Presentation
8. Create digital portfolios
SeaSaw
Pathbrite
Google Sites
Silk
Weebly
9. Create non-traditional quizzes
Testmoz
Quizalize
FlipQuiz
doriddles
QuizBean





No comments:

Post a Comment